Thursday 9 June 2011

HERE I GO!

Here I go! Sharing has never been easy for me though ‘gyan’ has always been natural to my existence.  When you are fluttering between food for the soul and food for the tummy, and suddenly you decide to put your views in oughts and knots, you are basically quite screwed up! The struggle for answers has just got a little more complicated…
Is it exciting?
Absolutely, its intoxicating!...every bump actually gives you a high! And also the hangover……
Oughts and knots is my way to look at life. You live all your life with someone on your head telling you do this ….do that . and then you arrive…when? .. noone can predict but everyone sure does! And when you are there, the trivials don’t matter anymore, its big game and big stakes. And there is hunger to know more ..know what you always wanted to, spend time on what you always wanted to. My mother, her mother, my aunts their aunts, my cousin sister, their cousin sisters….all might have wanted to do the same…the difference is they never did!...but I wish to …
My arrival I surely cant discuss in public, but my hunger for answers had begun way back. The best way to look for them, I read books and watch art…anything plays, photography, cinema and mind you not moviez ( the experience which is directly associated with popcorn…) . So I have apart from my goals decided to see the oughts and knots around me !
Considering the last time I felt like writing a blog was when I came back from a torturous screening of a sort of film called ‘luck’…I wish I had done it then. I would have been able t o sleep for the next three nights by blurting it out.  Obviously everything shouldn’t be said like a=b, lets unlearn that. What I implied was that I didn’t sleep three nights after that experience. Kept wondering I wish I had 25% of that budget ….selfishness, right?  That all we care for these days don’t we? Please read the WE as minus me ….ought and the knot! Complication just began.
Where do I begin?
A play…called Blood wedding*, at Kamani.  Not that I can call myself a connoisseur on theatre, but was on the merry go round of assessment.  The oughts :-
Should ( a frequently used word of the human race ..should )  a play be so infested with properties that it starts telling the story with things than with people?
Should people of that medium actually want to compete with the film experience?
Two jerks behind me actually helped me endorse the view, for every beautiful moment in the play they said ..kya shot hai? right next to my ear. It actually went reverb in my psyche…kya shot hai, kya shot hai
Should a medium like the play which builds as much edifice with sound actually have the liberty to move at one point into Bengal and the next to punjabi shaadi de geet? Wasn’t music or sound included in creation of milieu and misc en scene?  
Since I don’t belong to theatre, I will only pose questions.  I will (did I hear should) keep to my film making side.
The knots and there were so many of them, each with its own significance. The concept of the shadow, the duality, the contradiction, the hidden, the unsaid, the presumed, the not to be expected was presented in the most subtle yet ‘on your face’ manner. Two actors for one character, one the visible, other the thought, like ether not seen yet felt. It felt cathartic, what if there was a bit of you. What if the ‘ought’ was not what you wanted but the( k)not  was what you fascinate about.
Enough hard work for an introductory piece.  My mind wants to now work without the bits and the bytes.
NOTE :* Blood Wedding is a tragedy by the Spanish dramatist Federico García Lorca. It was written in 1932. The main themes of the play are death, individualism vs. society as well as women's role in society. The significance of death in the play is directly linked to the mother in two ways, first that death is not only the inevitable ending of life and the death of someone in a physical and mental form but also the death they experience in their relationships with other human beings.

1 comment:

  1. Extraordinarily remarkably fantastic beginning...quit a clear reflection of one's thought with the right mix of content and gizmo....all the very best...eagerly awaiting more posts...my mind is definitely hungry for more...

    ReplyDelete